President Obama has announced a plan to improve the fuel efficiency of American trucks. His plan includes:
– Directing the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Department of Transportation (DOT) to set the next round of fuel efficiency standards for medium- and heavy-duty vehicles;
– Partnering with private-sector leaders to deploy advanced vehicles;
– Partnering with manufacturers, labor, states, NGOs and other stakeholders;
– Expanding fuel choices for American drivers; and
– Supporting adoption of new fuel efficient technologies.
The plan aims to make the U.S. less dependent on imported oil, keep more money in consumer pockets and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The new fuel efficiency standards will be issued by March 2016 and will build on existing standards from the 2011 fuel efficiency rule.